Thursday, November 11, 2010

Excellence in the Midst of Inequality Pt.3

There was so much information in “Black Faces in White Places: 10 Game-Changing Strategies to Achieve Success and Find Greatness” by Dr. Randal Pinkett and Dr. Jeffrey Robinson that I had to take the time to really show you the connection to real life.  The authors were very careful to add many amazing real-life stories in the book.  But, I felt I had to add mine.  This is the last installment in the three part series.  I hope you learned a lot about me and will purchase their book. 

In the last post, I was released from my position at the firm.  The economy and other irrational excuses for my release were supplied.  It was interesting that TGG was convinced that I was not convinced of their reasons for release.  They were right!
What was I to do?  I considered the release a call to action.  It was not a time to sit and ask a lot of question which would probably go unanswered anyway.  I needed to establish a firm grasp on my identity, assess my skills, and most importantly embrace my passions.  These topics were also discussed by Drs. Pinkett and Robinson.
I answered the call to action with self-assessment and passion. I wrote my first book, "I AM MORE-the Journey".  I had found my passion - helping people who, like I, had experiences some of life's deepest hurts. I began speaking at grade schools, universities, businesses, churches, and all types of organizations. 
I answered the call to action with more education.  I continued my strategic planning for my career as a forensic accountant and criminologist.  All the training and courses I took for forensic accounting opened my eyes to the world of criminal behavior and victimology.  To partner with my bachelor of science (honors) in accounting from Kean University, I decided to attend University of Cincinnati for a master of science in criminal justice focusing on white color crime and criminal behavior.  The training in fraud and forensic accountant opened up another path for me.  In order to maintain both paths, I continue my education as an accountant and criminologist. My passions lay with helping people – criminals and victims.  My degree in criminal justice affords me the opportunity to do just that.  It empowers me with a tool which is also one of the strategies in Drs. Pinkett and Robinson’s book - “Give back Generously”.  To be a more effective leader, I am taking an online Executive Leadership Certificate course via Cornell University with focused classes in risk and return, raising capital, and capital budgeting. In the spring of 2011, I will begin classes at the University of Massachusetts for a certificate in forensic criminology.  I am also preparing my application for a doctoral program in criminal justice. 
In book, the authors stressed education as a way of rising to the “C-suite”.  You are in the C-Suite if you are a CEO, CFO, COO, etc.  My mother always told me, “They can take a lot of things, but they can’t take your faith and your education.”  I worked for Cushman & Wakefield a few years back.  When lay-off time came for our department, my superior told me he did not want to let me go.  He informed me the only way to save my job was to promote me.  He started the paperwork only to find out…..I would need a degree.  I got laid off because I did not have the paper, the degree, to go to the next level.  That would never happen again.  I learn the game. But, as the authors say, knowing the game is not always enough, there comes a time where one must change the game.
I find two career paths that had many commonalities.  I can work on both while only focusing on one stream of education.  Education is my out.  Education is my way of saying I will not allow others to hide behind my skin color as if it were a fault, nor will I use it as an excuse to fail. I AM MORE than the color of my skin.  I began working on the content of my character.  I began working on become greater at being great and more excellent at being excellent!
My Challenge to you:  Find your own path.  Approach the C-Suite for multiple angles.  Become an expert. Be careful that you do not become the "Jack/Jane of all trades and master of none", but no one says you cannot master more than one trade.  Stay focused.  Stay balanced. Stay aware of yourself and your destiny!


Thank you Dr. Pinkett and Dr. Robinson for supplying the word with such a powerful book!


No comments:

Post a Comment